Anyway, I tell you what I think, Signor Moro. Wherever there is private property and wealth, where money can do everything, is difficult and almost impossible for the republic is well governed and prosperous. Unless you believe it is just that all things in the possession of the wicked, or prosperity flourishes where everything is divided between a few and most live in poverty, reduced to the status of beggars. I look very good and wise ordinances of the Utopians. Few laws are enough to sort things well. Among them the virtue is highly appreciated. As all goods are common, all men have an abundance of everything. When compared with other nations Utopia, I see that many of them are continually making new laws, and yet never have enough, in those countries everyone calls him to his possessions, and all laws made in them are not sufficient to ensure the peaceful enjoyment of the thing possessed, or to defend or to know what one or the other is when two call yours the same thing. This brings endless lawsuits, every day, that never ends. When I think of all this, I agree with Plato and amazement that I would not make laws for those who were not ready to allow all goods are equally shared among all. That wise man
anticipated that such equality in all things is the only road leading to the republic to wealth. And this is not achieved as there are men who call him what they have. Indeed, where everyone can be based on certain titles can increase as much as their private property, a few people are divided between them all the wealth and abundance, there can be general, because the others are in poverty. And it often happens that the poor are more worthy of them than the rich because the rich are greedy, sneaky, useless and poor humble and simple, and work each day is more beneficial to the republic for them. So I am convinced that it is not possible to make a fair and equal distribution of things which can never be that perfect happiness of men unless it is prohibited that form of ownership. In both continue, most men will have to piggyback the heavy and inevitable burden of poverty. I grant that can be mitigated to some degree this misery, but I deny completely that it is possible to suppress completely. If they were to say that no law may hold more than a certain measure of land or a certain amount of money if you decree that the king should not be too powerful or too rich people, that you should not get the jobs bribing with gifts who can give them, that jobs should not be bought or sold, that we should not give money to make such trades, not to give opportunity to those who exercised tempted to recover their money through fraud and robbery, bribery because if there are jobs only the rich, and not chosen to fill them honest and wise men, if hiciesen these laws, I say, would alleviate these ills as relieve the ailments of a patient who has lost all hope of being cured with medicine, food and care given. But do not expect to be healed at all as each one is master of its own. While seeking of healing a body part, another will get more sick. So the cure of a disease-causing part of the other, because nothing can give a man if not taking it to another.
anticipated that such equality in all things is the only road leading to the republic to wealth. And this is not achieved as there are men who call him what they have. Indeed, where everyone can be based on certain titles can increase as much as their private property, a few people are divided between them all the wealth and abundance, there can be general, because the others are in poverty. And it often happens that the poor are more worthy of them than the rich because the rich are greedy, sneaky, useless and poor humble and simple, and work each day is more beneficial to the republic for them. So I am convinced that it is not possible to make a fair and equal distribution of things which can never be that perfect happiness of men unless it is prohibited that form of ownership. In both continue, most men will have to piggyback the heavy and inevitable burden of poverty. I grant that can be mitigated to some degree this misery, but I deny completely that it is possible to suppress completely. If they were to say that no law may hold more than a certain measure of land or a certain amount of money if you decree that the king should not be too powerful or too rich people, that you should not get the jobs bribing with gifts who can give them, that jobs should not be bought or sold, that we should not give money to make such trades, not to give opportunity to those who exercised tempted to recover their money through fraud and robbery, bribery because if there are jobs only the rich, and not chosen to fill them honest and wise men, if hiciesen these laws, I say, would alleviate these ills as relieve the ailments of a patient who has lost all hope of being cured with medicine, food and care given. But do not expect to be healed at all as each one is master of its own. While seeking of healing a body part, another will get more sick. So the cure of a disease-causing part of the other, because nothing can give a man if not taking it to another.
Thomas More, Utopia , Book I
0 comments:
Post a Comment